Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Vintage Postage Stamps

I love vintage postage stamps. They are just cool to me and I enjoy using them in my artwork. It took awhile but I went through my huge bucket of postage stamps and pulled out all the airmail stamps in red and green. I wanted another color so I went and found all of my orange six cent stamps. All the cancellation marks and date stamps are original on the stamps themselves. Because of this I decided not to paint or change the stamps in any way and just use them as my background. I'm glad I did because I think they are unique on their own. 

Here is what I came up with...

 mixed media, paper, acrylic

 mixed media, paper, acrylic

 mixed media, paper, acrylic


It kinda makes my head spin when I look at all these individual stamps. Do you think some of them were used for love letters? A note to Mom or Dad? Maybe secret documents? I'm sure each could tell a great story...I hope I did them justice. 


No comments: